The importance of uniforms in martial arts is not just about looking good. It also has much to do with the discipline and respect you show while wearing it. For example, the uniform is very important for Taekwondo classes because it shows your rank and level within the art. As you progress through the ranks, you will be given different colored belts to wear, which signify your rank. The higher your rank, the more elaborate and colorful your belt will be.
Ten things to remember when buying a Taekwondo uniform:
- Make sure the uniform is comfortable and allows a full range of motion.
- Choose a fabric that is breathable and will wick away moisture.
- Look for a uniform that is easy to care for and can be machine-washed.
- Avoid uniforms with excessive embellishments or logos.
- Make sure the uniform fits well and is not too loose or tight.
- The uniform should be constructed of durable materials lasting through multiple washes.
- The color of the uniform should be appropriate for the style of Taekwondo you are practicing.
- Choose a uniform style appropriate for your level of experience.
- Make sure the cost of the uniform is within your budget.
- Ask your instructor for recommendations on where to purchase a uniform.
How to buy a Taekwondo uniform for your kids?
When you are looking to buy a Taekwondo uniform for your kids, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind. The first thing is to ensure that the uniform fits well and is not too loose or tight. The second thing is to choose a durable material that can withstand multiple washes. And finally, you need to ensure that the uniform is comfortable for your kids.
With these things in mind, here are a few tips on how to buy a Taekwondo uniform for your kids:
Ask around and get recommendations from other parents. If you know other parents who have kids in Taekwondo, they would be a great resource for finding the right uniforms for your kids. Ask them where they bought their uniforms and what their experience was like.
How to choose the right size?
The best way to determine what size uniform you need is to try it on before you buy it. Most martial arts stores will have a few different sizes of each type of uniform available for you to try on. If you are ordering online, consult the size chart before making your purchase. You generally want the uniform to be snug but not too tight. It should allow you to move freely and breathe easily.
What is the right color?
The color of your uniform will depend on the style of Taekwondo you are practicing. For example, in traditional Taekwondo, beginner students typically wear white. As you progress through the ranks, you may be able to wear a black uniform. Athletes typically wear a red or blue uniform in other styles of Taekwondo, such as WTF Taekwondo.
How much should I spend?
The cost of a Taekwondo uniform can vary depending on the quality of the materials and the brand. Generally, you can expect to spend anywhere from $30 to $100 on a good quality uniform. If you are starting, spending a lot of money on a high-end uniform is unnecessary. As you progress in your training, you can upgrade to a better quality uniform if you wish.
Following are some basic taekwondo gear that you would need to get started with your training:
- A Taekwondo uniform ( Dobok): As mentioned before, the color of your uniform will depend on your style of Taekwondo. For traditional Taekwondo, beginner students typically wear white while more advanced students wear black. In WTF taekwondo, red and blue are the colors worn by athletes.
- A mouthguard: This is to protect your teeth and gums from getting injured during training or sparring.
- A groin cup (for men): This is to protect your groin area from kicks and punches.
- A chest guard: This is to protect your chest and ribs from impact.
- Shin guards: These are to protect your shins from kicks.
- MMA gloves: These can be used for sparring or training with a punching bag.
- Focus mitts: These are used by a partner to help you practice your punches and kicks.
- A skipping rope: This is a great tool for improving cardiovascular endurance.
- A yoga mat: This can be used for stretching or ground exercises.
- An MMA training bag: This can be used for storing all of your taekwondo gear in one place.
These are just some of the basic taekwondo gear you need to start your training. As you progress in your taekwondo journey, you may need or want additional gear. However, these are the essentials that you will need to get started.